Friday, October 3, 2014

General Conference: Christmas for the Soul

This weekend is one of my favorite weekends of the year.  It is General Conference weekend and for me, it is like Christmas for the soul.  Beginning tomorrow morning, members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will gather in homes and churches to hear our prophet and leaders speak to us.  Just like Christmas, we look forward to this day.  My family will gather together in our home and listen to eight hours of music and inspiring instruction on BYU-TV.  We get comfy under blankets as we each find a spot and grab a notebook for taking notes.  We listen and learn together, though there may be the occasional snore when someone gets a little TOO comfortable.  :)

Last October, a sister missionary taught me that we receive more from conference when we really prepare.  That day we met a woman as we were knocking on doors after the Saturday sessions.  The missionary proceeded to tell her about General Conference and what a gift it was to hear a living prophet speak.  She then explained that God was able to speak very specific messages that she needed for her life through these leaders.  She pulled out a list of questions that she had carefully considered before conference and next to each question were answers that she had received while listening to conference.  I was in awe of the depth of the answers she received and how much those answers meant to her.  This missionary taught me that specific questions yield specific answers and that God can answer our most fervent concerns when we prayerfully ask, especially during General Conference.

I followed her example and wrote out ten questions for the next day's sessions.  It was amazing to experience how asking questions changed how I listened to the talks.  I was humbled to receive answers to all ten of my questions and a sense of clarity for the concerns of my life.  It was a spiritual feast and I was overwhelmed by the flood of wisdom and love I felt as I listened to these talks by leaders who had never seen my face or known what burdens weighed on me.  It was an experience I hope to never forget and it has forever changed the way I listen to conference talks.

As I sat pondering tonight what questions were most needful for me to have answered this weekend, I am filled with confidence that this weekend will be a similar feast.  I know that God is aware of me and wants to help me understand how to be happy in every circumstance I face.  I am assured that I will hear the answers I need to sustain me for the next six months as I listen to General Conference this weekend. 

So....I suppose that makes tonight Conference Eve.   In honor of the occasion, here's a little parody based on the famous Christmas poem.

Twas the night before Conference
And all through the house
I have tried to be ready
To watch with kids and with spouse.
The notebooks are ready
The questions prepared
In hopes that the Spirit
Will whisper to us there.
...
I heard Him exclaim through his prophet this night
Happy Conference to all and to all: feel God's light!

(You can view General Conference on BYU-TV Comcast 232 or at www.lds.org.  Sessions are at 9am and 1pm on both Saturday and Sunday and viewable in online archives year-round).








No comments:

Post a Comment