Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Run to the Temple


I was in Kansas City this past week to help my grandfather with his book and was trying to meet up with a friend while in town.  She was running a 5K at the Kansas City temple and we were planning to meet afterwards.  As we were messaging each other on Thursday, I decided to just join her for the race.  I have run a couple of 5Ks but I’ve had a long series of injuries the last couple of years that have consistently derailed my running plans so I wasn’t entirely sure that I could do it. 

It was a beautiful day and the scenery was lovely.  I was there early and had plenty of time to stretch (which I think was a really big help).  I unfortunately couldn’t find my friend so I ran the race alone and took it quite slow since my goal was simply to run without aggravating my old injuries.  As usual with a race, the jovial energy of the crowd was contagious and the weather made for a nice jog. 

The race began on the backside of the temple and went over the freeway overpass and along a road lined with a pleasant meadow and horses.  Just at the point in the run when I started to tire and question the wisdom of running without any training, the course changed directions and I was now oriented back towards the temple.  The Kansas City temple is a beautiful building that rises beautifully among undeveloped prairie land on a small hill.  Seeing that magnificent building before me helped me stay engaged and motivated to press on just a little harder.  As I ran towards the temple, I was less aware that I was going uphill (I usually have a mental hurdle with hills of any kind).  But even more than that, I felt that I was making progress and getting closer to the place I want to be.  That motivation helped me finish faster than I expected.

This race was symbolic for me.  The temple represents my eternal goals and the things that are most important to me in life: family and faith.  By looking toward the temple, the hurdle before me (the little hill) was somehow easier and I could see that I could continue on despite my fatigue and concerns of injury.  I was struck by how much harder it was to run when I was facing away from the temple.  That moment was a good reminder that maintaining my focus on what is most important makes everything easier and gets me closer to my ultimate goal.

I remember a General Conference talk from years ago that talked about how you will never be lost if you can see the temple (https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2009/04/sacred-homes-sacred-temples?lang=eng&query=lost+temple).  Church leaders have regularly talked about how we should have pictures of the temple in our home and I’m embarrassed to say that I didn’t heed that counsel until recently.  A couple of months ago, I was given a gift card and purchased four prints of the temple and posted them in our three bedrooms and my teaching studio.  It surprised me to feel the effect of those simple prints in informing my choices and helping me feel stronger.  One day last month, I was having a particularly hard day.  I glanced at the picture of the temple and suddenly the challenges no longer seemed insurmountable and I knew I would have the strength to get through. 

I’m grateful for the temple: for what it represents and the promises made there.  This simple run was a wonderful reminder of what that special place means to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment